Grant and Douglas Optometry have introduced a brand new clinic dedicated to helping patients with problems with dry eye & blepharitis.
This clinic offers patients a comprehensive assessment, patient education and a managment plan for dry eye sufferers. Patients are initially allocated 45 minute appointments for the assessment which includes completing the Ocular Surface Disease Index (OSDI) questionnaire with proven roles in diagnosing and monitoring dry eye. Patients then receive a targeted specialist examination and special investigations including:
- Assessment of the quality and quantity of tears
- Measurement of tear meniscus height and Phenol red thread tests
- Assessment of lid margin inflammation and Meibomian gland function
- Ocular surface staining with lissamine green and fluorescein
- Detailed slit lamp examination
- Lash epilation and examination for Demodex
Some, but not all of the above tests will be indicated for a patient, depending upon their own signs and symptoms.
What is dry eye?
Do your eyes feel sandy or gritty, as if something is in your eye?
Do your eyes sting or burn?
Do you feel like your eyes are frequently tearing?
You are not alone. Approximately 20% of the adult population suffer from dry eyes.
Dry Eye Syndrome occurs when either not enough tears are produced by the eye or the tears that are produced are of poor quality. Symptoms can be worsened by computer use, air conditioning, driving and wearing contact lenses.
To determine the best treatment options we first need try and find the underlying cause of your dry eyes. This is done by booking in to our dry eye clinic for an assessment.
If you are suffering from dry eye syndrome or chronic dry eyes we understand an improvement in symptoms can improve your quality of life. First line therapy options include artificial tears and gels which offer temporary relief, however reducing the frequency of symptoms is usually most effective by treating the underlying cause. The leading cause of dry eye is Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD).
Specialist treatments offered by Grant & Douglas Dry Eye Clinic include:
- E-Eye IPL treatment for meibomian gland dysfunction
- Therapeutic meibomian gland expression
- BlephEx lid margin cleaning and hygiene treatment
- Blephasteam - Eyelid warming device with moist heat technology
- Detailed instruction and advice about the many things patients can do for themselves to help improve their symptoms including nutrition and supplement advice.
Our Optometrists are experienced at analysing your symptoms and recommending the best treatment options to reduce your symptoms. If you are interested in being assessed at our dry clinic please contact us to make an appointment for a comprehensive dry eye assessment.