Alan Grant Senior bought Woodward Pharmacy in Heretaunga St 2-3 years before the great earthquake of 1931. In the earthquake the building was flattened and then had to be rebuilt.
Alan Grant junior started training as an optician in Palmerston North in 1949. He continued his training in Wellington from 1950 to 1951. He was offered a job in Masterton before he even knew the results of his final examinations. He was encouraged to accept the job by his boss, who obviously knew he was going to pass his exams!
He worked in Masterton for 2 years before coming back to start Grant’s Opticians in a room over the pharmacy. The practice has operated from 3 different premises since then.
Alan Grant retired in 1994.
Hugh Douglas joined Alan Grant in partnership at sometime in the 1970’s. When Alan retired Hugh bought Alan’s share of the business.
In 2006 Jenny Stewart and Diane Pearson bought both the Hastings & the Havelock North practice from Hugh Douglas. At that time the practice was part of the Visique group.
In April 2014 both practices became independent again and as a reflection of their long optical history in Hawkes Bay, have retained the name Grant & Douglas Optometry and Eyewear.